Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Head, Shoulders, Knees, & Toes


Sight words: body, head, leg, arm, nose

Books:
Old Testament (story of the creation...we used a picture scripture book)
The Foot Book by Dr. Seuss
My Busy Body by Lizzy Rockwell ISBN 0375922032

Songs:
Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes.
Do as I'm Doing
Hokey Pokey
I Am A Child of God

Activities:
Trace bodies on drive way with sidewalk chalk.

Find a large cube and paste pictures of different body parts on it. Let the children take turns rolling the 'dice' and then touching each body part

Body Bingo (I made a cute bingo card and will post it if I can figure out how)

Snack: Gingerbread Men*

Started by singing I Am A Child of God. Then we talked about Heavenly Father creating our bodies and that He also has a body like us. Sang Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes. Then we talked about all our body parts. My kids had a lot of fun naming off body parts and then saying what they could do. Arms are good for hugging and teeth are good for chewing.

After reading My Busy Body we sang Do As I'm Doing about 5 million times. This book actually has a couple pages at the back with lots of little pictures of kids doing activities, so we took turns picking on picture to copy while we sang. Then we read The Foot Book and played our dice game. We also talked a little about physical disabilities. Also not harming our bodies with drugs, alcohol, etc.


Finished off with tracing our bodies and playing bingo. Then of course our yummie snack. This was a fun lesson that worked well for both of my kids, even my 2 year old loved it.


*Due to a dental surgery yesterday we switched this to Jell-O jiggler men.

No comments: