Friday, September 19, 2008

Dinosaur Day

Using a Discovery Pack from our local library made this lesson really easy! A Discovery Pack consists of books, an activity, and a movie about the subject. Making your job of finding materials a snap! Check your own library to see if they provide any packs like this.

Sight words: fang, dinosaur, bone, paleontologist
Word lesson: adding an 's' to make words plural

Books:
Touch and Feel Noisy Dinosaurs ISBN 1846104440
The Discovery and Mystery of a Dinosaur Named Jane ISBN 0766027309
Revealed Dinosaur ISBN 0789497492

Movie:
Animal Life for Children All About Dinosaurs ISBN 1417101652

Song:
I'm a Mean Old Dinosaur
(Tune: I'm a little Tea Pot)

I'm a mean old Dinosaur
(Make a mean face, the kids make the cutest mean faces)
Big and Tall
(Gesture hands big and tall )
Here is my tail, here is my claw.
(Gesture hands behind your back for tail and make claw hands)
When I get all hungry
(rub your tummy)
I just growl
(have the kids exaggerate the grrroooowwwlll)
Look out kids I'm on the prowl.
(Here I tickle each one of the tummy and they all giggle)

We read through the books taking a break to put together a dinosaur puzzle (also in the pack) and to learn the cute dinosaur song. My son was very interested in being a paleontologist when he grows up so we spent some time discussing what their work entails.

After all the books we watched the 23 minute program on dinosaurs.

Activity:
Making a dinosaur picture practicing using scissors. My son cut out a mountain, grass, a tree, and a sun which he then pasted to his page. After that he added dinosaur stickers and did some water color painting. The finished project was beautiful!

Snack:
Tortillas and cheese. We used dinosaur cookie cutters to make our tortillas into fun dinosaur shapes. My younger son even joined in for this one.

The rest of the afternoon was spent as a paleontologist, digging and discovering. A very successful lesson.


No comments: